SENSORY INTEGRATION & AUTISM
Many children with autism have sensory processing difficulties. They may show difficulty with appropriately responding to challenging situations, and in numerous cases, the intensity of their response to a situation doesn't match the input/output expected in a typically developing child.
For example, when visual input is too over stimulating, a child may be observed to be staring at spinning objects, or a child may not maintain eye contact during a conversation, or have difficulty locating objects that are located on a cluttered shelf.
When auditory input is overloaded, child may:
- Cover their ears in loud situations such as a fire drill, or hum/sing to themselves, or complain of the noise levels in rooms
- Hang on an adult, or lay between two surfaces
- Avoid touching certain textures
- Touch everything in sight as a way to re-regulate
When the taste and smell pathways are overloaded the child may:
- Avoid certain foods, or eat extreme tasting foods
- Avoid using the restroom at public places
- Breath through their mouths rather than their noses
When the proprioceptive system is overloaded the child may:
- Pull, chew or twist things
- Frequently breaking toy
- Unintentionally hurt peers
- Stand too close to others or objects with no understanding of personal space
When the vestibular system is overloaded, the child may:
- Exibit thrill seeking behaviors
- Have extreme motion sickness
- Show difficulty with coordinated eye movement
- Seek being upside down
Having ‘just right’ responses to sensory input takes guidance and controlled exposure. Our sensory kits and step by step play plans are designed to teach children how to achieve ‘just right’ responses to sensory input. 20 minutes of structured sensory play is a fun, motivating way to help your child develop self-regulation skills.
Are you looking for play-based activities to further develop your child's sensory skills and goals? Do you want to develop their ability to handle certain situations efficiently and effectively? Busy Little Learners is an innovative early childhood program that follows a play-based & multi-sensory approach to teaching & learning. Our curriculum will foster your child’s self-regulation, sensory development and creativity through PLAY. Your child will create, investigate and explore through the use of bright colors, silly scents & fun textures. Sensory Together offers play-based curriculum programs, learning activities and sensory kits for a healthy sensory lifestyle and success in learning and beyond.